One-third of all cancers are diet-related. Foods can help a person cleanse the body and keep the immune system and the body strong. Wholesome foods like whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes can accomplish this. Foods laden with chemicals, artificial sweeteners, like fat-free or sugar-free foods, offer the body an unnatural environment that may encourage disease.
Foods to help prevent cancer include:
• Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, collard greens, Brussels sprouts
• Allium vegetables like onions, garlic, leeks
• Lycopene foods like tomatoes and apricots
• Green tea, black tea and white tea
• Fiber foods like oats, beans, and bran
• Monounsaturated fats like olive oil, nuts, avocado
• Omega-3 fats like salmon, flaxseed (use same precautions as soy), walnuts
• Beta carotene foods like apricots, peaches, sweet potatoes, carrots, collard greens, spinach (both dark leafy green and orange fruits and vegetables)
• Mushrooms like shitake and maitake
• Vegetarian diet including soy (those at high risk for breast cancer should consume soy products three times per week) and many wholesome foods.
• Resveratrol containing foods like blueberries, red grapes and peanuts
• Avoid foods that clog up the body. High-fat foods, processed and convenience foods, trans fats or partially hydrogenated fats, poor quality foods found in fast food restaurants, cold cuts, bacon, bologna or salami containing nitrates, cured or smoked meats, or animal foods containing hormones
• Spices such as turmeric, parsley or rosemary
• Brazil nuts containing selenium
• Relax, laugh, meditate and be positive!