The Diabetes World: Welcome to it
Chapter One: The Real Deal
- Food Majesty’s message to diabetes enlightenment
- Playing the game
- D-I-A-B-E-T-E-S rules for blood glucose control
Chapter Two: Eating for the Realists
- Carbohydrates, carbs, I love you
- Fat, sugar and salt: The all-American way to flavor foods
- Fiber: Fall in love
- Protein gives you balance
- Fat gives you freedom to eat less
- Nuts about nuts
- Omega-3s can be swallowed or eaten
- Wine, beer, vodka and club soda in moderation: Forget the colada
- Nothing is for free: Can cookies be sugar free? Is there really a Santa Claus?
- Glycemic index and load: What does it mean?
- Portions: Yes there are limits
- Eating out: Yes, you still can… with a conscience
- Reading food labels with less confusion
Chapter Three: Eating for the Idealists
- Perfect and easy meal plans and more…
- Sunday – Saturday
- Balanced breakfast ideals
- Luscious lunches
- Delicious dinners
- Scrumptious snacks
Chapter Four: Take the “DIE” out of Diabetes
- Diabetes is a disease of your vessels
- Cardiovascular (heart) disease
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Nephropathy (kidney) disease (bonus renal/diabetes seven-day meal plan)
- Neuropathy (nerve) disease
- Retinopathy (eye) disease
Chapter Five: Au Natural
- Lose weight and exercise!
- Vitamins, herbs, supplements
- Spices: Beyond fat, sugar and salt
- Reflexology: A healing touch for people with diabetes
- Stress reduction: Don’t worry!!! Or it might raise your blood sugar (be positive)
Chapter Six: Recording Reality
- Blood glucose levels
- Weight control
- Taking your medications and supplements
- Calorie tracker: 1200, 1400, 1600, 1800 calories
Chapter Seven: Diabetes Reality: Real Life Situations
- Introducing Adam, Bela, Barry, Charlie, Mr. Somo G and Ms Dawn P
- What numbers am I looking for? A, B, C….
- Hyperglycemia is too much sugar in your bloodstream
- Hypoglycemia not hypochondriac
- Mr. Somo G and Ms. Dawn P
- Doctor, doctor, give me the news
- The Dating Game
- Don’t panic button: Testing so you’re in the know
- Big “D”: Depression
- Double “DD”: Dubious denial
- Are you sleeping?
- Aim and shoot
- Exercise: feeling stronger everyday
- Feet: the fabulous duo
- Stressed out – for some is desserts spelled backward
- Carbs – Schmarbs: Just be moderate!
Chapter Eight: The Real Type 2s from South Florida – without the Drama
- How did you feel when you heard the words, “You have diabetes?”
- How were you told of your diagnosis?
- Was the diagnosis of diabetes clear to you? Do you remember what words were used?
- What did you do first?
- Did you know anyone who had diabetes?
- What is the worst thing you thought could happen? What is your greatest fear?
- What is the most difficult thing you have changed since your diagnosis?
- How has diabetes changed your life?
- Who has given you support?
Chapter Nine: Help me! Resources for You
- Supermarket shopping list
- Exercise DVDs to get you results
- Newsletters and websites you can trust
- Books you can depend on